The Cabin in the Woods
The Windward Y got its start in 1934 in a log cabin on a small plot of land in rural Kailua. At the time, about 2,000 cars were navigating the 22 harrowing hairpin turns on Old Pali Highway every day. Following World War II, development rapidly spread over the Ko‘olau Range and families followed. By the time the little cabin was inaugurated as the Windward YMCA on January 23, 1956, it had an address (186 Makawao Street), a single staff member, and was serving a population area of 34,000. In short, the new Y Branch was already too small.
In 1958, YMCA of Honolulu purchased
the land at 1200 Kailua Road next to the historic Ulupo Heiau. A new building was dedicated on December 15, 1959. Within three years, the Windward Y jumped up to 46 Boys’ Clubs, 654 members, extensive family programs, camping, and community work that extended past Kahuku.